Sunday, August 23, 2009

Twinkle, Twinkle and REJOICE!

I haven't blogged since last week and I just haven't felt like there has been much to report. But tonight as I was laying in bed next to Cole, singing his bedtime songs I just had a tug at my heart. He was giggling b/c I did "this little piggy" to his toes but then it was time for one more song. He wanted "twinkle, twinkle little star" so I began singing. It was dark in his room but some light was shining through the crack in the door so I could see our shadows. I put my hands above us and opened & shut them,like a star as I sang. Then Cole raised his arms up and began doing the same thing. Seeing his little hands doing what mine were doing was just precious. I felt a tug at my heart and almost shed a tear. A few things came to mind. 1. I can't believe Cole is getting so big and can now follow my lead and 2. I am so thankful for him. With a 2 year old it seems that all you do for the entire day is say, "No." It's only natural to have to do that b/c I think most people understand how 2 year olds can be. But at the end of the day when everyone is tucked in bed after a wild day, that crazy 2 year old who was in trouble half the day can still have complete, unconditional love for his Momma. In some ways it makes me feel guilty but if I didn't tell him "NO", I wouldn't be doing my job.
One another note, I want to end by telling about our sermon today. We had a guest speaker who is actually not a preacher. He is actually from Fuller Theological Seminary and asked to speak to our church. He told us that every single person came to church today carrying some sort of burden. For some it was something small, but for some it was something very painful. The reading for the sermon was from Philippians 4. Here are a few pieces that stood out.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."
This is the part that sums it up...
"I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it.I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
So.... for anyone who actually reads this post, whatever burden you are carrying with you today, "Rejoice in the Lord. I will say it again, REJOICE." May you gain the strength you need to get through this day and be "content" that the Lord is with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment